Relentless Pursuit

   I was struck by a something my friend quoted the other day: "worship isn't meant to be comfortable." Of course. Worship isn't for us--it isn't for me. Worship is for selflessness, humility, letting go. When I enter the church building on a Sunday morning, I am often seeking something: I'm asking myself how I can be encouraged. The question shouldn't be, "how can I be blessed this morning?" rather, "how can I bless my Father." How can I bow down and relentlessly pursue Him? How can I magnify truth and be nothing to glorify Him most fully? 
   Let it be said that worship isn't meant for the church building only. Forever, all day, we should be selflessly glorifying the God who is perfect in nature and character; we should be thinking of HIM and considering His perfect attributes.
   If you feel nothing, it doesn't matter. If you are confused and directionless, hurting, sorrowful, He knows; your response should always be the same because HE is always the same: worship, blessing, humility.
   This isn't a call to raise your arms higher in church, close your eyes in thoughtfulness during a touching song, or jump up and down in a worship service! It is a call to joy. No matter where we are at in life, He is always the same Joy-giver, Lover, Redeemer, Pursuer, Savior. He remains, always, the steadfast rock of our salvation. He is never not perfectly-deserving of our praise. We are always meant to seek Him, and He never stops pursuing us.
   Feelings are not associated with pursuit. We can never say that God has stopped working when we can't feel Him. The sun doesn't cease to exist on a cloudy day. To disbelieve in a God when you can't feel Him is just as illogical. Feelings are beautiful and have been designed by God, but are not the only reality of our relationship with the Father (thankfully!).

   He is always deserving. He is always Holy. He is always worthy of praise because He can't cease to be perfect--just like we can't cease to be human.

   Let the joy set in. Let the worship happen in the church building and everywhere else; choose to make it happen because He is always worthy. It isn't based on works or image. It is a hope that naturally flows out in praise because He remains the same. It is pressing into scripture each day to keep your heart soft and pliable to the Father's conviction. A pursuit that keeps you hungry; you've tasted and seen Him. You want Him: His greatness has captivated your heart, and your response is praise.


Comments

Popular Posts