Perfectly Predictable

      "For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For His invisible attributes, namely His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 8:19-20
 I was having one of those moments. You know, the moments you spend pitying yourself and all the decisions and pressures that life seems to throw at you. I had things to do and places to be, people to see and agendas to meet. I was in the car on my way to work, and I began to complain to the Lord: "why this, why that, why this way and not that way?..." I was feeling weary and victimized, but He convicted me of a better way: thankfulness.
  I started small: thank you, Lord, for the dirt on this road, the fields, the grass. My gratefulness became more personal, and, after a few minutes of simple thanksgiving, my heart began to change.
  Suddenly, all around me, I saw this intricate puzzle that had been perfectly fit together! The trees took root and grew, the sun rose in the east and set in the west, houses were built and remained in their foundation; all of it was so...predictable! I started to question this predictability and soon realized that predictability reflects His grace; predictability is order. A perfect, divine order that can only come from God Himself as the Creator.
                  Everything we see that reflects order confirms His grace toward humanity!
 I began to marvel at the fact that gravel and dirt don't chaotically fly off the road! I began to wonder at the miracle of clouds floating in the sky! If there was no order, there would be no gravity, and no gravity would mean that--quite literally--dirt wouldn't "stay put." If there was no order, there would be no constancy, yet our very breath is governed by a law of constancy. Life itself wouldn't exist.
 I became dumb-founded by the grace I was given in every single moment. My pity seemed menial, to say the least.
 God's hand is heavily upon this earth, and it can't be denied--even in our pitying moments! The oppression that I was experiencing was merely a pin-drop of the evil I would know without His grace; without His gracious hand on this earth, I wouldn't even know if a road would be there to drive on when I woke in the morning (seriously!)--not to mention a thousand other elements of chaos.
 This pin-drop of turmoil could point me back to the Creator, or toward myself. Since I am only this one lump of matter with a mere trial, I chose to allow a trillion lumps of matter to give me true perspective and direct my gaze back to the Father.
                 

Comments

  1. Great post, Leanna! I run around all day, almost every day, in nature, but I often don't take the time to truly marvel at its beauty and wonder. Thanks for the reminder to do so!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts