Story Behind the Story

As some of you know, last week, I published a small ebook called "In Hope For Home." I didn't intend to keep it under wraps until announcing the publication, but to be honest, I got a little caught up in life, and forgot to take people with me on my writing journey. Looking back, I wish I would've taken the time to include more people in the process.

It was a process, of course.

More than once, I questioned why I was writing my story at all; I wondered why I had to reveal so much vulnerability in one place. It was extremely uncomfortable at times. I would sit down to have a conversation with another young lady who had either traveled extensively and/or been a full-time missionary, and I would immediately feel my heart turn inside out. As we talked through our experiences abroad, and I processed everything that happened in my heart and mind over the past year, challenging things always came to surface.

To be honest, a majority of the material in my book came from such conversations. After having a vulnerable, deep (encouraging!) conversation with a sweet friend, I would, almost always, sit down and write out the conclusions we came to and the lessons that came to mind.

Caroline, Jeneva, Chelsea, Sunny, Cheyenne, and Erin are the ladies behind the story. Without them, I don't know if there would even be a book to read. Thank you so much, friends!

It all started when I felt a tug on my heart at the beginning of May. I had been keenly aware of other dear friends who had been working through similar difficulties with Reverse Culture Shock and general adjustment, and suddenly I had to share the perspective God had placed on my heart. . .

To be in hope for Home.

The challenging months before leaving for Costa Rica, in Costa Rica, and after returning home always brought me back to that sweet truth: all the discomforts of today point us toward the comfort of the Spirit and hope for Heaven.

As I write this I realize that, yes, I accomplished my dream to be an author through this book, but more than that, God's faithfulness is scrawled on every page--in every word, and that means so much more. None of it is a reflection of me. It's all Him. I would've given a self-centered, pride-laden account of twelve difficult months. Or, worse yet, I would've described everything with rose-colored glasses, honing in on self-righteousness. (Not to say that some of those elements aren't in there...still human!) But, by his grace, He gave me the courage to be honest and real, and the process proved more valuable than anything else.

In an amazing way, He often cares more about the process than the outcome. Now you know that it holds true for me, too. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Hope-Home-Discovering-Perspective-International-ebook/dp/B078PB66D9/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1515621952&sr=1-1&keywords=In+hope+for+home

                       --------------------------------------------------------------------

A small glimpse of my Costa Rican life from January to July 2016


One of my first evenings in Uvita!


Right outside our door


Our lil' home


Hammocks, of course! 





Comments

Popular Posts