What a Love

I lifted him high above my head. He held his chubby fists to his mouth and his blue eyes squinted with joy as a giggle escaped. I loved him so much.

I was happy to be holding that little man. I had waited 8 months to meet my nephew, and finally, there he was--in my arms! I had anticipated the day when I would get to meet him, heard his cooing over the phone, and seen countless pictures of those sparkling eyes and heavy-hanging cheeks. But I hadn't held him yet, so when I did, I didn't want to let go!

What had he done to make me love him so? Nothing--but be himself.

As I pulled baby Titus close, I made a comment to my sisters: "Wow--it's amazing to think that God loves us like this, yet so much more." What if He swings us up high in the air with laughing eyes, delighting in our dependence on Him? We offer nothing, yet He is filled with inexpressible love. He pulls us close while we are still unable to eat solid food, and He declares us His own!

And--something that I fight to understand every day--this agape love remains the same forever. We do nothing to be loved by Him. Just like a baby does essentially nothing to be loved!


He sees our blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and stubby feet and swoops us up in His arms with joy and laughter. He calls and brings His children to Himself...what a delight-filled truth!

Just like I anticipated cuddling my sweet nephew for 8 months, without Titus doing anything more than smile and coo, so the Father longs and anticipates holding us close, simply because we are His.

What a love is this.

                           ------------------------------------

"You have lead in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed; you have guided them by your strength to your holy abode." Exodus 15:13

Comments

  1. My dear daughter. It never ceases to amaze me how you can take the simple little joys and happenings in life and bring the focus back to your Heavenly Father! What a delightful post to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts