A Mountain Story

Mountains refresh souls.

As I've been in the mountains for over a month, the Lord has been teaching me a lot through their majestic beauty and mystery. After summiting a fourteener, I felt like I was on top of the world; but the humble climb up a mountain half of Pikes' elevation reminded me that I will never be, nor even desire to be. 

------------

I was asked to share my story in class one morning. I quickly agreed, but almost as quickly began wondering what my story actually meant. Life has seemed more like many puzzle pieces than a neat linear line to be coherently shared.  

I had a day to bring my thoughts together and pray before sharing briefly with the students. I happened to have the time to climb our little Red Mountain that morning, and I eagerly started the trek--excited to reach the top and look over all the splendor of Colorado Springs, while hammering out my thoughts. About half-way up the mountain, I started feeling sick. I pushed through for a little longer before stopping to rest on a rock on the edge of the trail. 

I was baffled by how sick I felt! (Then I remembered that I'd had only a banana and coffee that morning...not wise!) Regardless, I was going to be there for a while, unless I wanted to lose what little was in my stomach. 

I sat there, attempting to think of anything but my rolling stomach. Eventually, I was able to pull out my leather-bound journal to begin pondering the punchline to this "story." 

It became clear to me as I looked out at the straight pines shadowing the side of Red Mountain: the aim isn't to reach the top. 

What a simple statement. I knew there was something more to learn, so I began scribbling words onto the creamy, lined paper. The top of the mountain is what we reach for--it's the goal, right? The Lord seemed to be bringing all those puzzle pieces together by staring that statement in the face: no, the aim isn't the top--it's the beauty to be discovered along the way. 

Sitting on the edge of the trail, attempting to reach the peak of Red Mountain, was a perfect representation of that truth. God has a sense of humor! ;) 

It's the times when you're too sick to move on, and the Lord causes you to pitch tent on a rock on the mountain trail. It's the times when He says, "I am so much more than a mountain to be summited." 

My life seemed to flash before my eyes, and I knew that was my story. I have summited a few mountains to be spoken of, but their "summiting" pales in comparison to the beauty the Lord has shown me along the way. That's where my treasure has been, and that's where the treasure will always be--knowing that discovering Him on the mountain path is so much sweeter than any greatness to be found at the top. He's at the top, too, of course, but it's easy to forget He's there unless you've encountered Him along the way. 

-----------

Update: Summit has been incredible so far! I am exactly half-way through my time here in Colorado, and I would appreciate prayer for continued strength and stamina as we welcome nearly 400 students in the next 4 weeks. Thank you to all who have been praying! I so value your support and encouragement! If you want to know more about this ministry, visit summit.org :) 


Comments

  1. Precious LeAnna! I can not believe your insight and ideas! So proud to call you my daughter!
    You didn't tell us the rest of the story... how did it go with your return hike home? Love you tons, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts