Our First Look

What do I long to see most...

An image fluttered into my mind as Kyle talked our way through Matthew 6. Instantly, tears sprang to my eyes and I was overwhelmed by love and humility. 

I want to look into Jesus eyes for the first time. I want to behold the glory that will make my worries look insignificant; I want to see the kindness that will remind me just how gentle He is; I want to see the justice mingled with mercy as an understanding passes between us and my sin is remembered and released. 

A well of grace, depth, beauty, majesty, power, fear--and feelings we don't have words to encompass. We will behold Him, seeing ourselves completely--for the first time--through His eyes. Because in those moments, I imagine His holiness will strip away our "self" perfectly, and we will forget that we ever thought ourselves significant. We will realize, in full purity, that we were made in His image to represent Him--that all our creativity, dreams, and talents were given by Him to make much of Him, not ourselves. 

Oh what a delightful day that will be! We will come to an understanding of being completely His, and He ours. Imagine the joy that will overflow on those golden streets...we will see Jesus. 

In thinking on these things, tears rolled down my face, and I felt my whole life align for a moment. A wave of healing seemed to pour over me as I allowed the truths of scripture shape this image of Jesus. Oh He is so kind! He is endlessly patient with my shortcomings, longing for me. And all the rubbish of self seemed to be swept away for one moment of clarity into the splendor of Jesus Himself. 

Lord, may we seek you and find you this day. 

Comments

Popular Posts