Anxious Heart: Week 4

"Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee." Psalm 55:22

Even if you don't consider yourself an 'anxious person,' I believe there is still heart-work here. I've found that my 'anxious thoughts' often manifest themselves through what I'm striving after. What do I not give up? What am I constantly trying to manipulate in my life? What worldly thing holds my thoughts most often?

Where is your heart anxious?
"He who cannot calmly leave his affairs in God's hand, but will carry his own burden, is very likely to be tempted to use wrong means to help himself....anxiety makes us doubt God's lovingkindness, and thus our love to Him grows cold; we feel mistrust, and thus grieve the Spirit of God." -Charles Spurgeon 
"Calmly [leaving] our affairs in God's hand"--ah! The spiral effect of choosing to hold onto our affairs is laid out pretty clearly in this quote. And scripture references the damage of an anxious heart countless times (Matthew 6; 1 Thes. 4; James 4). God cares very much that we let Him carry our concerns; it's a vital part of our growth in Him and His glorification. Casting our anxious thoughts on to Him leads to greater trust in Him, greater love, and greater intimacy. I definitely want more of that in my life!

This isn't a question meant to stir up old anxiety or make one scoff at it's simplicity. We are all on a journey to the "High Places," and some steps are so tiny you can hardly tell you've moved; and often, we slip and fall again. But it's all part of the journey toward the Heart of God.

If you've seriously struggled with anxiety, thank you for fighting, warrior. It's a battle of the enemy against your soul, and the very best you can do is HOLD FAST. Today, asking where your heart is anxious may bring a tsunami of thoughts and feelings--meaning, you submit it all one more time. And one more time, He will be there, regardless of how you feel.

Comments

Popular Posts