Bound for Eternity

"Christian, if thou wouldst know the path of duty, take God for thy compass; if thou wouldst steer thy ship through the dark billows, put the tiller into the hand of the Almighty."            -Charles Spurgeon
     A full week of projects, hardships, accomplishments, and encounters with God lies behind me. I've been struggling to ground myself and find zeal, but God remains faithful! This week, He opened my eyes through the sweet words of Spurgeon. As I read the devotional, a concept began taking shape in my mind, and the Lord truly spoke truth and rest into a bit of my confusion and sadness...
     At times, life feels like a wild adventure on a ship bound for eternity. Some days are all sunshine and clear horizons, and other days clouds hang heavily over airless sails. Some days need to be spent mending ropes and riggings, or scrubbing the decks, or even freshening salt-battered wood with new paint. There are moments to be spent scouting for land and moments for games and laughter with cabin mates! And then there are times to be spent with the Captain at the tiller, learning His perspective alongside guiding hands. I believe God has me here.
     Sometimes, in life, God calls us to have faith that He is in control at the tiller of the ship. He calls us to the lower decks and remains hidden from our sight as we squint to see Him from below. While below deck, we attempt to meditate and pray. We attempt to understand, but our growth often comes from being challenged to have trust and faith amidst the turmoil and lack of feeling. Other times, He draws us--torn, weary, broken--to Himself at the tiller and gently places our hands on the rough wheel that guides the ship toward eternity. His hands are placed over ours and soft words are spoken. When the heart needs these moments with the Captain at the tiller, time spent anywhere else feels heavy and draining. At the tiller, joy is in abundance, peace floods the heart, and perspective is clearly spread before the eyes!
     Through a lot of questions and wondering, the Lord showed me that He wanted me at the tiller with Him; He has stories to rewrite on my heart here. Before the Lord revealed this to me, I felt guilty, ashamed, and confused that I couldn't desire the company of others or the community around me. All I've been able to desire after, or put true excitement into, is quiet time with Jesus. I can't say this with anything but complete humility. I've been stripped raw of capacity with life, and God graciously allows me to find rest with Him day after day. Moments with Him are sweet: He re-eastablishes His character into my life and brings restoration to this weary traveler. ;)
     Though it may sound silly, it's difficult to accept this desperate need for my Savior. I want to be "okay" on my own; I want to have capacity in my own strength, but the Lord is patiently--and, oh, so graciously--showing me that needing Him is beautiful and full of purpose.
     Be blessed and encouraged to find joy in Jesus whether you are at the tiller experiencing His close presence, or are below deck being challenged to trust in His perfect sovereignty in the silence.
    Thank you for praying this week! We are beginning a full month of back-to-back teams coming in from Costa Rica and the U.S. to stay at Refugio Solte, or minister alongside us in Uvita. Pray for strength and courage to trust in God's sufficiency!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts