Awakened

The crazy of life gets under the skin far too quickly, doesn't it?

The other morning, I realized that over the past year, I'd gradually become comfortable and "used to" the concept that God was omnipresent--there, ready, seated in Glory. When I came to the Word that morning, my mind was already laden with a dozen pop-ups...and it was only 7am. As I watched the morning light settle on vibrantly green grass, I was struck by how very dull and ungrateful I had become.

The worst part? I've known it's been happening all along.

I have felt my heart slowly getting caught-up in the busyness of life; as it's strings are wound around a hundred other "necessities," less and less is fastened to my Savior. 
  
A sense of sadness came over me: how in the world had this happened? "Being in the world, I guess," was the response that seemed to hit me in the face. This is what it meant to grow older; this is what it meant to become complacent and lose the last bit of child-likeness.

I took a deep breath, understanding that my eyes had been opened afresh to another intricacy of the battle Christians face. I saw, and felt, how easily I could whither away. Rain, nourishment, and light causes the grass to grow vibrantly; without, the grass would become dust. I saw and felt how slyly the Enemy had crept into my heart, ebbing away at the vibrancy of my soul... A little less Living Water, a little less humble thankfulness, a little less time with Believers: dull.

-----

Numbness and apathy quickly takes over a dull, ungrateful heart. When you lose touch with the joyful truth that Jesus is near and moving, everything hums on in a mundane fashion. Little thought is given to any one thing, and therefore, little thankfulness or praise is offered. When we lose our praise and worship, we lose the very purpose we were created. 

It makes sense, doesn't it? We feel restless in our numbness, as if we know we are missing something. Perhaps it's because we've ceased to see God as one who is close at hand, demanding our worship and glory, awakening our souls to the very purpose we were created for.

Oh Lord, give us a sensitivity of your presence all around us! Cause us to be like children again, aware and caught-up in the beauty of God with us.

Comments

Popular Posts