Not Yet...

I'm standing on the threshold of marriage.

My brain is buzzing with the awareness of incomplete lists and unfinished messages. No one ever warned me that to be a bride, you must hand over half of your brain--the part that listens to people when they're talking to you, thinks cohesively, and actually finishes something.

Not only is one half of my mind continuously on all things lace, tulle, and ribbons, the other half is subconsciously preoccupied by this man whom I've grown to love deeply and depend upon. My thoughts are with him, wondering where he is, what he's doing, what he's thinking about, counting down the days until a thousand miles are gaped.

Engagement is hard. I've talked to many dear engaged friends who agree, eyes wide, head nodding. Your heart, spirit, soul, and mind (in so many ways) are one, but you're not together yet--doing every-day life. You aren't yet experiencing the unity of being one; though you've said yes, you must now wait. And you know the day when you get to say 'I do' to your best friend, but not yet. A hundred days, fifty, ten, even three. But not yet. Oh how I'm reminded of the gospel...

We live in the 'already but not yet' every day.

We've said 'yes' to Him, we long for the day, we wait with eager expectation, our body groans under the weight. But not yet. We can't be with Him yet...

This morning, I felt the burden of the 'not yet.' I was trying to focus on reading my Bible, praying... something! But nevertheless, it took me over an hour (yep, ties had to be ordered, ya know?) to finally quiet my heart before him for twenty minutes.

I just want to want Him--always! I want to feel Him, to follow Him without stumbling, to be in His complete presence.

But not yet.

So I wait--you wait--in eager expectation to be taken up as the Bride of Christ. Just as we 'engaged ones' wait to be the bride of our beloved groom on that special, future date.

This threshold leads through a doorway of unknowns, excitement, change, challenge, pain, hardship, but oh so much joy. If you're a bride too, take a moment to pause in the beauty of 'already but not yet'; we only get to see and experience the gospel in this light once, Lord willing! <3

Comments

Popular Posts