Truth, Beauty, and Goodness: Week 3

Truth, Beauty, and Goodness--elements of God, and within the nature of man. Which do you harp on most to the detriment of the others?

Known as the transcendentals, truth, beauty, and goodness have been used as a tool to understand the essence of God and the nature of man. These three go through their seasons in the church. We've seen truth take the seat when pure theology has faded, as in the Reformation; we've seen beauty magnified, as when Michelangelo painted in the Sistine Chapel. And Goodness seems to take the spotlight when we've forgotten Our First Love. 

Which element do you lean toward more naturally? Perhaps you are a logical person, and His truth is easiest to identify with. Or perhaps you are a "feeler," and His goodness (more tangible study) is where you settle. 

In the past year, I've contemplated this a lot, since there's been a resurgence back toward the importance of God's beauty. In my nature, I think I tend toward His beauty most, but until my eyes were recently opened to this as theology, I didn't know it's importance! 

Now, it could happen that I focus my worship toward His beauty so much that the other two--truth and goodness--grow cold. In reality, His beauty isn't complete without a knowledge of His truth and an understanding of His goodness. The picture would be greatly fragmented! 

So ask yourself, which of these three elements of God's nature do I identify most? And how can I grow in my love for Him through the other two? 

Make the answers simple and practical: read a book on apologetics, maybe go to an art museum for the sole purpose of appreciating God-given talent! Or listen to a sermon on prayer. 

Comments

Popular Posts