Moments Missed

"His presence will be most realized by those who are most like Him." 
Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening 

The truth of this little quote seemed to send a shiver through my body. I paused, looked outside at the grey mountainside and took a breath. It's true. The more we reflect Jesus, the closer He feels. When I'm fixing my eyes on Him in every waking hour, my whole self--body, soul, and spirit--begins to rise and fall with His every heartbeat. Literally. 

I hear Him tell me to pray for that disheveled man on the street, instead of merely noticing that he's stoned. I hear Him sing over me in the dark moments as I'm pressing into His Word. I feel Him guiding my words as I speak to a broken brother or sister. 

That's when His Spirit is fresh upon me--when I am caught up in the dance with Him...When He is most reflected in me. 

And then, more often than not, I wade through life, controlling what I can and scoffing at the rest. I make lofty goals for a day's work, head down and determined--hoping no man will change the course of my day, much less a homeless man. 

But as I stared out the window, I ached for those moments I'd missed with my Savior. How many times had He wanted to speak light and life through me? How many times had I missed the opportunity to be a beacon of hope to someone in deep hurt--because my head was down, concerned only with myself. And, almost more grievous than anything, how many times had I missed the pure joy of delighting in Him--hearing the quiet voice of His Spirit that guides, nurtures, and sings over His children? 

Praise the Lord that today is a new day to pursue Him! A new day to seek, knock, and ask! A new day to become more like Him that we may know more of His gracious presence. 

Comments

Popular Posts